We mentioned before how DeLuca Masonry Construction LLC. uses top building materials for our masonry projects and highlighted the advantages of stone. While stone is a great material to use, it does not mean that brick and block aren’t great materials either. Just as we did with stone, we have outlined the advantages of using brick as your main material for your masonry project. We have even included some of the disadvantages to having brick, so you know exactly what material you will need for the piece you are looking to build.
Advantages of Brick Masonry
- Uniform shape and size.
- Handling is easy with brick as the pieces are light in weight.
- Brick is easily available and transportation is less costly while stone needs to be brought in from quarries that limit the supply.
- You can use any type of mortar with brick masonry.
- Brick can be used for virtually any project including thin walls, where stone is not the best source.
- Easy to form openings for doors and windows.
- Construction cost can be reduced in brick masonry as mortar joints are thin.
Disadvantages of Brick Masonry
- Not as strong as other materials such as stone.
- Not as durable compared to stone.
- Brick masonry needs plastering done to finish a project which can raise construction costs.
- Brick absorbs water which will cause dampness and damage overtime.
- Less aesthetic appeal with brick as there is limited sizes and colors.
If you have any questions on our masonry services or about brick feel free to contact us!